Monday, May 28, 2007

Mahabharata

A still from Peter Brook's film adaptation of
The Mahabharata.
The following quote was not included in the script,
if memory serves.

"I do not regard even my own self to be mine.
On the other hand,
I regard the whole world to be mine.
I again think that all of this (which I can see)
is as much mine as it belongs to others.
Grief cannot approach me
in consequence of this thought.
Having acquired such an understanding,
I do not yield either to joy or grief."
-The Mahabharata
.
This is the consolation prize for self-renunciation -
ownership of everything in existence.

2 comments:

clpatel said...

The one who has no wants, the whole world belong to him. He is in the whole and the whole is in him.He is like emperor.

This is the reflection of a beautiful poetry in Hindi written by some saint not known to me.

Chah gai chinta miti, manua beparwah.
jako kachhu na chahiye, so jag Shahanshah.
This further means that the one who has no desire and no worry his mind is free.
The one who does not want anything is the the Emperor of the world.

Anonymous said...

CHAH GAI....IS WRITTEN BY SWAMI RAM TIRTH.